Sony has over 57 E-mount lenses including full frame, APS-C lens and E-mount lenses crafted for a range of shooting situations. This article offers a guide to choosing the best zoom lenses for Sony full-frame cameras in these categories: the ultra-wide zoom lens, popular zoom lens, general use zoom lens and telephoto zoom lens.
Ultra-Wide Zoom Lens
This category covers zoom lenses within focal lengths of 12-24mm. These lenses are commonly used for landscape and architecture photography, and rarely for video.
- Sony 12-24 aperture 2.8 G Master (Sony FE 12-24 mm F2.8 GM): One of Sony’s latest, this lens has stunning optical performance and the ability to shoot in low light. It is the only one in this category that can use filters with it.
- Sony 12-24 aperture 4G (Sony FE 12-24mm F4 G): This lens has excellent optical performance thanks to its corner-to-corner G lens resolution at constant f/4 maximum aperture. It is an excellent choice for dynamic landscape and architecture photography.
Popular Zoom Lens
Wide zoom lens in this category cover focal lengths from 16-35mm. This series of lenses are excellent for the increasingly popular categories of travel, landscapes, and nature photography. This series is also essential for establishing video and introductory shots.
- Sony 16-35mm aperture 2.8G Master (Sony FE 16-35mm f/2.8 GM): One of the most popular zoom lenses for Sony cameras, and one of the most widely used. A fast and flexible wide-angle zoom, it offers excellent optical performance. It offers consistent performance throughout the zoom range and benefits working in low-light conditions.
- Sony Vario-Tessar 16-35 aperture 4 Zeiss lens (Sony Vario-Tessar T * FE 16-35mm f / 4 ZA OSS): is a daytime lens with excellent optical performance and is weather resistant. Based on the Zeiss Tessar optical concept, it features a constant f/4 aperture for consistent performance and illumination throughout the zoom range. The lens can be paired in both E-mount and APS-C format cameras.
General use zoom lenses
This category covers the most popular focal lengths: from 24-70 mm, with some reaching 105 mm. One of the most versatile and popular lens categories, this is also the most used by photographers. It’s suitable for shooting landscapes, travel, portraits and people photographing portraits. It is also excellent for shooting videos.
- Sony 24-70 aperture 2.8 G Master (Sony FE 24-70mm f/2.8 GM): This lens offers excellent performance visually and in terms of Autofocus. An essential lens for professional photographers, due to its versatility.
- Sony 24-105 aperture F4 (Sony FE 24-105mm f/4 G OSS): An elegant and versatile lenses, that offers excellent optical performance for various focal lengths. It has a constant f/4 maximum aperture for increased control over depth of field. It also incorporates an Optical SteadyShot image stabilization system.
Telephoto Zoom Lens
This category covers focal lengths from 100-600 mm. One of the highly specialized categories of lenses, it is used to photograph sports, birds, wild animals and other applications in remote photography. These lenses are also suitable for videos within a specified range.
- Sony 100-400 aperture 4.5-5.6 G Master (Sony FE 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 GM OSS): This lens features fast autofocus and superb image quality, and delivers best in class performance in low-light conditions.
- Sony 200-600 aperture of lens 5.6-6.3G (Sony FE 200-600mm f/5.6-6.3 G OSS): This lens is distinguished by its large size 600mm lens, which is suitable for photographing birds and wild animals. It provides excellent optical performance.